Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stella McCartney – Fashion is ‘heartless

World-known designer Stella McCartney considers modern fashion and people working in the sphere “heartless”.

Being a staunch vegetarian Stella refuses to use leather in her collections and can’t understand why people still use animal hides in so many lines.

She commented:
"I find it astounding, because fashion is supposed to be about change – I mean, we’re supposed to be about cutting edge! I can only think they don’t care as much as people in other industries. So, yes, I think people in fashion are pretty heartless. Why on earth would they use fur and leather otherwise?

There’s no excuse for fur in this day and age. Baby kids are boiled alive. Foxes are anally electrocuted. If that’s not heartless, what is?”

The British designer is sure she can create wonderful clothes by simply using unusual fabrics. Besides, the 38-year-old tries to think of the planet when making her collections.

She told Britain’s The Guardian newspaper:
"The main thing I need to do is create, hopefully, exquisitely beautiful, desirable objects for my customer. If I can make you not notice that it happens to be out of biodegradable fake suede, if I can make you not notice that it hasn’t killed cows or goats or unborn baby lambs, then I’m doing my job.

I don’t want to do scratchy, oatmeal-coloured things, that defeats the object. I try really hard, but if now and again I have to dye a bag using chemicals that are not as low in environmental impact as I’d like, in order to get a brighter colour, then I will do that.”

No comments: